mardi, août 30, 2011

Rantau Panjang - Part II


It was a strange Merdeka Celebration indeed.

We had just come home from Kota Bharu visiting and beraya. By the time we got back, it was close to midnight. Rudy sent the girls home and asked me if I wanted to go out again.
Frankly,
I was very tired.
But then he said, "Ada orang main dikir,"
knowing full well I would jump up and follow him.
We went by motorbike. Me riding pillion. And arrived just in time for the fireworks. In Kelantan, mercun is always spectacular.

It was a modest clearing. There were Malaysian flags everywhere. No party signs, not one single one. The dikir group was already assembled. Rudy met his cousins and friends. After greeting family, I stood transfixed, enjoying the calm festive camaraderie. Wholesomeness.

The songs were familiar to me. But the last one got to me.

Hidup bersatu
Amalan kita
Hapuske sengketo
Teruske cito-cito
Satu Malaysia...

Harmony
A way of life
One Malaysia

As I was about to leave, I was a bit teary. It was quite emotional, this simple celebration.
Then I saw their photos on the wall.
Six Prime Ministers.

Tunku. Tun Razak. Tun Hussein Onn. Tun Mahathir. Pak Lah. Najib Razak.

Selamat Hari Merdeka. My Country.

4 commentaires:

Sherry Blue Sky a dit…

Beautiful and moving,Nino. You took me right there with you.

Wan Sharif a dit…

Gotcha there..
it should be six not five PM :)..
SBS can surely appreciate more if you translate the Kelate song to her lange...

_________________________
I have added cool emoticons to this message.
To see them go to http://x.exps.me?8274d3d029e606d203c55fa69d36111a

remgold a dit…

no political flags in kelate? impossible! but good that they have achieved this.
some celebrations are for everyone, regardless of flag colour. well done malaysia!

ninotaziz a dit…

Dear Sherry,
Wan Sharif, rightly so has reminded me to share the meaning of the short song for you. The song is very hypnotic, a group of old group singing called Dikir Barat.

Ayoh Wang,
Thank you so much. Will check out the emoticons!

Sir Remgold,
I was surprised myself to see no political flags. It was really a good thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails